Job Title: Education and Vocational Case Manager – at risk adults
Job ID: LE-2210-005143
Category: Instruction and Social Service
Location: Lehman College
Full/Part Time: Full time
The School of Continuing and Professional Studies at Lehman College is seeking an experienced Education and Vocational Case Manager to recruit and support eligible candidates living at New York City public housing sites for the HRA Pathways program.
The program provides education and career counseling for tenants to attend job-training or degree programs at CUNY campuses or approved non-CUNY schools. The program also provides funding for tuition, books, supplies, transportation, exam fees and professional licenses. It also provides job search support and stipends for unpaid internships.OTHER DUTIES:
Reporting to the Program Director, the Education and Vocational Case Manager will:
- Provide educational vocational counseling to tenants in 4 public housing sites.
- High-touch service to a caseload of approximately 30 to 40 tenants a semester.
- Provide outreach and recruitment through orientation sessions at housing sites, a monthly newsletter, and direct outreach to tenants and housing site staff.
- Assess tenants' interests, employment history, education level, and abilities in order to develop appropriate education and employment plans.
- Research specific education and training programs that align with each tenant's goals and abilities.
- Support tenants to ensure that they successfully complete their programs of study.
- Follow up regularly with tenants in person and by phone, email, and virtual meetings.
- Maintain case notes and input data to document all education and employment contacts in our online platform.
- Distribute and track MetroCards, loaner laptops, loaner MiFis, and other benefits that the program provides to tenants.
- Communicate with external and internal partners on behalf of tenants and the program.
- Present workshops at housing sites, with or without external vendors, that will help participants develop and reach their personal, educational and career goals.
- Pursue and develop collaborative relationships with employers and industry experts.
- Assist the program director and program coordinator with specialized technical support including but not limited to online workshops, databases, benefits calculators and educational technology projects.
- Assist the School of Continuing and Professional Studies with occasional projects.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of two years of experience working with underserved populations.
- Education and vocational case management experience.
- An interest in the complexities faced by adult learners receiving public assistance, and the willingness to assist them in working through multiple barriers to enroll in and complete education programs and/or find employment.
- Flexibility in work location including two days a week in Hollis, Queens.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good basic technology skills including email, phone, text and virtual meetings.
- Bilingual (especially Spanish).
- Experience working in the higher education field.
- Having a car and a valid driver's license is helpful, but all locations can be reached by public transportation.
COMPENSATION: Annual Salary Range: $55,000.00 - $62,000.00
Full-time position with benefits, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.
Hybrid position: In-person twice a week at Hollis Gardens Apartments at 203-04 Hollis Avenue, St. Albans NY. The remainder of the work week will be remote, with occasional travel to other public housing sites for recruitment and retention of clients.
To apply go to https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=LE-2210-005143
CLOSING DATE: December 12, 2022 or until the position is filled.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.